an IT strategy that can be replicated

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Tue May 24 06:28:30 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> writes:
> Every day there is some contribution I make to improving free
> software, sometimes these are things that could be used directly by
> the system-hackers or other individual teams, sometimes they are
> things that are more abstract.

I am aware that you are very active in the Free Software world and I am
very happy about it.  I did not mean to imply otherwise, in case I
sounded that way.

> I'm not suggesting that the system-hackers must immediately drop
> everything else and switch to one of these ready-to-run Linux systems,
> but the relevance of these systems for small organizations is definitely
> worthy of discussion.

I understand, but that discussion needs to take place within the system
hackers.

For the blog team, I can also tell you what the phases will roughly be:
1. Migrating the blog to a current version of Wordpress with a few
   plugins/themes as possible.  Otherwise, nothing should change here.
2. Finding a more long-term solution.  This can be a static setup where
   maintenance is easy because we could keep the backend only accessible
   by sustaining members.  It could also involve packaging software for
   Debian.  That is something we will discuss and where we will take
   your suggestions into consideration.  But this cannot happen yet
   because the migration is our top priority.

Happy hacking!
Florian