an IT strategy that can be replicated

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Tue May 24 05:15:31 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I appreciate your enthusiasm and I will
certainly keep your suggestions in mind when implementing anything.

Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> writes:
> How do other people feel about that point?
>
> FSFE's "About" page says the organization's mission is to empower
> users.  Personally, I feel that setting an example that other
> organizations can replicate will help achieve that goal and doing
> things that other people can easily copy is a powerful form of
> leadership.

Well, the statement is a political statement.  That does not mean, the
FSFE will enable everyone personally by providing software to them, but
rather that the FSFE wants to get to the point where using Free Software
is the norm.  Part of that strategy can be what you mentioned, but the
FSFE is not a technical organization; it is a political and educational
organization about technology.

I think many of your suggestions make sense and we (the blog hackers)
and probably others would love to implement some of them.  However, the
problem is that your suggestions mean a major change from how things are
currently done.  Your suggestions also mean major work to even just
achieve these kinds of goals.  We do not have the manpower to do that
right now and the best thing we can do is look at a system and take
small steps to making it more maintainable.  Defining service plans and
deciding which database we want to use or even changing the whole
infrastrucure setup before we even know what is feasible, is not a good
idea.

And to be completely honest here, another reason why your suggestions
are sometimes a bit problematic is that you are suggesting other people
implement them.  If they were small or easily implemented changes, that
would be fine, but if someone asks for major changes to the
infrastructure, they should be prepared to implement those changes.
That does not mean you shouldn't make suggestions, but you keep on
pushing them after people tell you why they don't think your suggestions
are feasible right now and I invited you to the blog team, but you still
only make more suggestions here on this list.  I understand you're
probably busy, but you're coming off a little bit like telling other
people how to do their jobs (not because of one suggestion, but because
you keep pushing them).

That being said, I really do appreciate your suggestions and wheneve we
make any decisions, I will think about what you wrote here and see if
any of it is applicable.

Happy hacking!
Florian