system-hackers service agreement
daniel at pocock.pro
Thu May 19 08:52:35 UTC 2016
Looking at the thread about the new blog team, it is clear that some
things are dependent on the relationship that teams have with the
Ignoring the current configuration of the systems, what is the ideal
service that the system-hackers would like to be able to provide?
- which OS/distribution? E.g. Debian
- would more than one OS be feasible or required?
(this multiplies support effort, should be avoided)
- will services run in virtual machines and which technology will be
used (KVM, XCP, Openstack, ...), e.g. will the blogging service run in a
VM isolated from the services operated by other teams?
- benefit: each team can receive major OS updates at different times
- disadvantage: extra effort for system-hackers team, needs more IP
- how fast can packaged security updates (e.g. from Debian) be deployed?
Will the updates be automatically deployed by cron or something, or
will the team aim for a 24x7 support roster? In the latter case, are
more volunteers needed in the system-hackers team?
- how will major upgrades (e.g. from Debian 8.0 to 9.0) be deployed?
E.g. aim to begin upgrade 3 months after the official release,
individual teams using a particular server can veto the upgrade until 7
months have passed
- which services must be supported by the system-hackers (I'd suggest
backups, public web site, wiki, IP address allocation, SSL certificate
creation, monitoring, Git, DNS, authentication/OpenID/LDAP, mail,
mailing lists, SIP, XMPP and any services that the system-hackers may
depend on in the course of their own activities)
- are the system-hackers willing to support a database such as
PostgreSQL for use by other teams? Can they provide a convenient way
for members of other teams to take snapshots of their databases for use
in test servers?
- will the system-hackers allow members of other teams to use sudo?
Maybe there are other things too, it would be good to see the
system-hackers provide a list of what you would be willing to support
and a separate list of what people think they need the system-hackers to
More information about the Discussion