Introducing our new blog team

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Wed May 18 16:55:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Let me try to answer that for the blogs: We have not discussed the
> details here, so what I say might not be the final solution.  The
> current plan is to keep the blogs on FSFE hardware and also have the
> operating system maintained by system hackers.  That simplifies
> maintenance overall.  If an OS update breaks the application running
> on top of it, that's the team's problem.  That way, system hackers do
> not have an additional burden and the service team can take care of
> the application itself.

It might be a good idea to have some minimal formalized communication between
server-admins and service-admins in this scenario:

1. The service documentation must include a contact so that the admin can be
notified without asking around

2. The service documentation should include minimal functional tests so that
server-admins can possibly detect breakage (this can be basic at first and be
extended whenever something breaks in a new way)

3. The server admins should communicate (and schedule) changes in advance so
that service-admins are aware

I know, that is very basic stuff and probably will be done anyway. I just
wanted to point it out because in practice it *is* forgotten surprisingly
often...

Cheers,
  Johannes