Yubikey 4 becoming non-free

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 18 06:54:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 18 May 2016 07:47, floriansnow at fsfe.org said:

> That is something I have been thinking about for a while.  I was very
> surprised to receive one from the FSFE.  That may not be such a great

Actually RMS uses such a card himself.  He told me a few years ago that
it does not matter because it is technically not possible to change the
software running on the card.

FWIW, Achim, the author of the specs and the OpenPGP application of the
card, has published a basic implementation of the software w/o the parts
falling under the NDA with the chip and OS vendors.

If you want a free implementation of an OpenPGP compliant token, you
should look at gnuk <http://www.fsij.org/category/gnuk.html>.  The hard-
and software has been designed and implemented by my co-hacker gniibe.
It is more expensive due to the small-scale production and it does not
have any physical protection of the chip.  The advantage is that is is
fully free software and that it runs a standard micro-controller, which
is small enough to allow the detection of malicious hardware
modifications.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

    /* EFH in Erkrath: https://alt-hochdahl.de/haus */