How to combat modern crappy websites?

Federico Bruni fede at inventati.org
Tue May 3 16:25:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 05:02:54PM +0200, Paul Hänsch wrote:
> Well, I think the main reason is, that web developers just don't know.
>[cut...]
> = = = = = = = = = = = ADVERTISEMENT = = = = = = = = = =
>
>  So, who of you volunteers to implement this on the FSFE homepage?
>
>  We currently have:
>  - the language switcher
>  - the closing button on our translation warnings
>    (e.g. http://fsfe.org/index.ru.html)
>  - https://fsfe.org/about/fellows.en.html
>    (should display a highlighted map, apparently defunct)
>  - the caroussel animation on the frontpage
>  - Tooltips on http://fsfe.org/timeline/
>  - the hamburger button (on small screens)
>  - the contribution slider on http://fsfe.org/join
>  - probably some more...
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
> In most cases the CSS-Implementatios is *easyer* than doing the same in
> JavaScript.

Interesting discussion.
Current carousel is made with jquery, right?
The repository is on svn only? No git?

> Looking at code of modern web pages, I often suspect that the authors are
> not well aquainted with CSS. So it's really a matter of education. People in
> a 100,000 Euro start-up company might just be working on their first
> commercial web project after university.
>
> Maybe it helps if we hang out on StackExchange more.

Most of people use frameworks (like Bootstrap) because it's so convenient.
PureCss by Yahoo (released with BSD license) is probably one of the few
frameworks committed to use only CSS? What would you recommend as
CSS-only framework?

http://purecss.io/
https://github.com/yahoo/pure