"The Proprietarization of Android – Google Play Services and Apps"

Nico Rikken nico.rikken at fsfe.org
Tue Jun 21 12:34:38 UTC 2016

Hi Paul,

Indeed, binary blobs are still present. I was aware of this upfront, as
the Replicant folks were already warning that Qualcomm was not going to
be a suitable partner for avoiding binary blobs. (always good to talk
to the other camps) The purist route would be the GTA04, but André
wasn't satisfied with his. So I've settled on the blobs, in order to
allow freedom on the top of the OS stack, and support these efforts of
Fairphone.

Indeed the strong free software supporters seem to be in the minority,
but developing long-lasting hardware without the complementary software
stack is pointless for a device with software as its primary feature,
whilst being exposed to the internet.

Time will tell how this will pan out. The FP2 hardware is awesome in
that I've taken it apart on multiple occasions already. Always good for
a round-table at the local LUG ;) And a production flaw was replaced at
their office by swapping out the screen. Projecting such a view and
attention to detail onto the software stack, I have high hopes.

The referred Sony forum post doesn't seem to be available any more. But
if I understand correctly, Sony was trying to do the right thing, but
were eventually screwed over by one of their subcrontracters?

Kind regards,
Nico