European Interoperability Framework - EU asks for public opinion

Polina Malaja polina at fsfe.org
Thu Jun 9 09:36:50 UTC 2016

Dear all,

European Interoperability Framework (EIF) - a set of recommendations for
better e-Government services in the EU - has been under FSFE radar for
quite a long time, as its first version published in 2004 was very
plausible for Free Software and included a very strong definition of
Open Standards. Currently, the EIF is undergoing its third revision: and
the European Commission is asking for public's opinion until *29 June*[^1].

I wrote a blogpost about the topic:

http://blogs.fsfe.org/polina/2016/06/08/eif-v-3-makes-you-miss-noughties/

In a nutshell, there are some worrisome developments in the current
draft revision, in particular in regards to harmful patent licensing
practices that are discriminatory towards Free Software.

And I ask everyone to spend some time and answer to the ongoing
consultation in order to address this problem and make sure that the
European Commission will not exclude Free Software from their digital
initiatives. All relevant information can be found in my blogpost.

FSFE is currently preparing our own answers to the ongoing public
consultation and in case you have any feedback or other concerns in
regard to the draft revision[^2] that you think we should address in our
answers, please let me know directly!

Thank you for your help!

All the best,
Polina

[^1]:
http://ec.europa.eu/isa/consultations/impact-assessment-for-the-revision-of-the-eis-eifl_en.htm

[^2]:
https://ec.europa.eu/eusurvey/files/57b2ecd5-effa-4594-9ef2-47e7ecc67047
--

Polina Malaja - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, t +49-30-27595290