The FSFE summit

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Mon Jul 11 14:16:23 UTC 2016

Den 11-07-2016 kl. 15:58 skrev Daniel Pocock:
> So not only are users unaware of the alternative meaning of "free" in
> the context of software, some more perceptive users assume something
> is not in their best interests when an app is offered to them "free"

I think that's really mainly a question of education. Ideally, people
should be learning about the meaning and history of the GPL in secondary
school, and the distinction between free and proprietary software should
be common knowledge.

I think that's a better way to go than to use different words -
especially since even if we only ever did use the term "open source", it
would still be necessary to educate people about it for them to grasp
the idea behind e.g. the GPL.

As different words go, I think that the term "open source" (and this may
also serve as a response to Max) is particularly vicious as it tends to
gloss over the political points and is specifically intended to do so.
So I'd never use it "stand-alone". I can accept the abbreviation FOSS
and its verbose form, though, and will use it where people might not
understand what I mean with "free software".