The FSFE summit

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Mon Jul 11 13:58:28 UTC 2016

# Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic [Juli 11, 2016 11:44 ]:
> On 11.07.2016 12:39, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 11/07/16 11:27, Carsten Agger wrote:
>>> unhappy to see the term "open source" featuring so prominently in an
>>> event sponsored by the FSFE.  I do believe RMS is right in his reasons
>>> to reject the term, one of them being that it is kind of a
>>> "business-friendly" way of avoiding the issue of freedom.
>
> I was surprised myself and I agree with Carsten.

I agree that especially on the first day (focussed on business related
talks) there's quite a lot "Open Source". But in contrast to FSF, the
FSFE does not oppose the term OS in general but understands it as a
synonym for Free Software [1]. In some business worlds it seems OS is a
better marketing word than Free Software, and in my opinion we should
not focus on forcing them to use FS instead against their will, but make
clear that both terms mean the same thing.

Of course FSFE on their own should state that FS is the better term
because it focuses on freedom instead of "just" openness. But we should
not blink the fact that some external speakers may feel differently.
Let's propagate the similarities instead of the differences instead.

Just my own pragmatic 2-cents :)

Best,
Max

[1] https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/basics/comparison.html