The FSFE summit

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Mon Jul 11 09:49:32 UTC 2016

Den 11-07-2016 kl. 11:39 skrev Daniel Pocock:

> How do you feel about using the more verbose "free and open source
> software"?
I like that better and often use it myself as a kind of compromise.
> Sadly, the term "free" is often misused and the wider public is not
> always aware what we are talking about.

However, that is a problem which might be better solved by education.

A couple of years ago, when I visited Brazil for the first time (I've
been there only twice, so don't want to sound too well-travelled) I was
very pleasantly surprised that ordinary people, i.e. non-technical
social activists, immediately understood what I meant when I said I was
working with "free software" without me having to explain.

That's because the Lula government and the Ministry of Culture under
Gilberto Gil did *a lot* to promote the concept and to promote the idea
of community-created and -used software, not least among the social
movements.

Free software has not, of course, won a convincing victory in Brazil,
but it just goes to show that it *is* possible.

Best
Carsten