The FSFE summit

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Mon Jul 11 09:27:16 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm pleased to see the announcement of the coming FSFE summit

https://fsfe.org/community/events/2016/summit/frontpage.en.html

it's an exciting schedule and I hope I'll be able to attend.

However, and I really don't intend to start any prolonged "editor wars"
or otherwise engage in lengthy hairsplitting, but a part of me is also
unhappy to see the term "open source" featuring so prominently in an
event sponsored by the FSFE.  I do believe RMS is right in his reasons
to reject the term, one of them being that it is kind of a
"business-friendly" way of avoiding the issue of freedom.

We should not endorse the avoidance of the issue of freedom, are my
thoughts. This should, in my conception, be a defining difference
between an event like this, organized by the FSFE, and a conference such
as FOSDEM, whose aim is more general.

Best,
Carsten