anti-establishment movements and the information age

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Feb 8 10:28:01 UTC 2016

On 08/02/16 09:27, Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> * Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> [2016-02-05 14:22:03 +0100]:
>
>> Is anybody in FSFE reaching out to any of these groups - anywhere in the
>> political spectrum - to see if there are areas for collaboration?
>
> We constantly reach out to political parties, attend their meetings, give
> workshops, talk with staffers, etc.

How does this group appear in relation to others?

The main thing that caught my eye is that they are unified by an
emphasis on democracy, despite the fact that many of the people involved
have significant differences in other policy areas.  Democracy is also
something that is now heavily connected with digital freedom.  In
Richard Stallman's talk the other day, he was emphasizing software
freedom should be considered as fundamental as the right to public
assembly or the right to vote.

Has there been any effort to survey or catalog free software use in such
groups, parties, lobbying organizations and see how it evolves over
time?  Some are notoriously bad at it, having something to compare them
against could be helpful.

>> Has there been any follow-up after the efforts around the last European
>> elections?
>
> Yes. For example we informed the MEPs about our DSM comments:
> https://fsfe.org/news/2016/news-20160118-01.en.html
>
> One result is also:
> https://fsfe.org/news/2016/news-20160128-01.en.html
>
> Before FOSDEM we had a meeting with EU Free Software groups who work on
> Policy issues to make sure we share more knowledge in future:
> https://fsfe.org/news/2016/news-20160205-01.en.html

Thanks for this feedback.  It is good to see that some high level
progress is taking place.

Regards,

Daniel