anti-establishment movements and the information age

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at fsfe.org
Sun Feb 7 12:44:01 UTC 2016

El 07/02/16 a las 09:49, Daniel Pocock escribió:

> On 05/02/16 15:19, Mirko Boehm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 05 Feb 2016, at 14:22, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:
>>>
>>> The UK may have an anti-EU referendum in 3 months.  Yanis Varoufakis
>>> (controversial former Greek finance minister who rides motorbikes[1]) is
>>> now trying to create some movement of pro-EU democracy activists under
>>> the name DiEM25[2] with a launch in Berlin next week.
>>>
>>> What is notably absent from debates on both the left and right of the
>>> spectrum is any talk about the role of proprietary technology, big data
>>> and the cloud.  Many of the social problems created by big data are
>>> global.  The DiEM25 people are talking about "bringing back" democracy,
>>> but I suspect that with their web site simply linking to Facebook and
>>> Twitter they are simply another well-intentioned group transferring a
>>> little more power into the hands of a few privileged people in Silicon
>>> Valley.
>>>
>>> Is anybody in FSFE reaching out to any of these groups - anywhere in the
>>> political spectrum - to see if there are areas for collaboration?
>>
>> I wanted to attend the event but did not get an invitation or a ticket. I would be interested in participating.
>>

> How do people get the tickets, or are they purchased at the door?
>
> I wrote a blog about their reliance on facebook[1], some people have
> probably seen it on planet already.
>
> If people from this campaign or any other like it wanted to bootstrap
> themselves in a Free manner, do we have solutions for them? Has anybody
> ever written a guide or anything else to get people started?

I don't know a holistic documentation for "creating a campaign using
free software based communication means".

For English speaking people/organizations that want to build/control
their own websites/networks (despite they selfhost or not), I would
point them to https://communicationfreedom.wordpress.com/about/ for a
very short summary, and then, try to talk with their people in charge of
IT/communication channels, to learn about their skills and needs, and
then, offer them the suitable clients for the networks they choose to be
in, technical support, etc.

It seems, however, that the DiEM25 website was created by a creative
agency (http://holy.gd/). So probably DiEM25 has no "IT personnel", and
then, probably they don't need technical assistance, they just need to
be sure that they want to use free software based networks, and then,
make their agency comply, or subcontract with other agency.

Regards

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona