On receiving an interview request from Uber

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Sat Dec 17 19:36:08 UTC 2016

On 12/17/2016 08:29 PM, Charles Cossé wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro
> <mailto:daniel at pocock.pro>> wrote:
>

>     If you own an apartment in a building with elevators, you have to pay
>     service charges to the company that maintains it.
>
> With all due respect, where's the motivation for the poor bugger who
> writes the free software?  I believe that there is still something
> missing from this equation.

The software developer would normally be paid by the hour to produce
free software for industrial use.

That's what my company does, anyway, even if we don't make software for
elevators or embedded systems in general.

> So it's okay to pay the company to maintain the elevator but not the
> software developer?  Where's the motivation for the software developer?

... to maintain the elevator, and as part of that, the software. The
developer's motivation would be the paycheck. Payment by invoiceable
hours is a standard business model for free software developers. Support
contracts are too.