US Federal Source Code Policy

Repentinus repentinus at fsfe.org
Tue Aug 9 14:43:02 UTC 2016

On 08/09/2016 06:49 AM, Matthias Kirschner wrote:

I am a layman with interest in US law, but as far as I know:

> - Are presidential memos considered a bit less important than executive
>   orders?

Not in terms of their legal power. Wikipedia states they are considered
less prestigious, but does not back up that assertion.

> - How binding are those presidential memos? E.g. what happens if an
>   agency acts against it?

Whenever an officer of the federal government chooses to ignore an
executive order or a similar instrument, they risk dismissal. After all,
they are ignoring an order from their boss.

> - Do I understand correct that another president can invalidate such a
>   presidential memo?

Yes. Any future president can undo any past decision within the purview
of the Executive branch.

--
Heiki Lõhmus
Coordinator Translations