US Federal Source Code Policy

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue Aug 9 06:49:40 UTC 2016

In March I wrote about the draft of the US Source Code Policy
<http://k7r.eu/us-government-commits-to-publish-publicly-financed-software-under-free-software-licenses/>.
Now it is finished and published here:
<https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/memoranda/2016/m_16_21.pdf>

We plan to use that in the next months as an example for European
countries. That's why I would be interested in your view if a) we should
recommend something similar in other European countries, and b) what
should be changed.

Beside that, as I am not familiar with the political system in the US,
maybe someone here can help me to answer them:

- Do I understand that correct that this is a "presidential memo"?
- If so, it should soon also appear on
  <https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/presidential-memoranda>,
  right?
- Are presidential memos considered a bit less important than executive
  orders?
- How binding are those presidential memos? E.g. what happens if an
  agency acts against it?
- Do I understand correct that another president can invalidate such a
  presidential memo?

Thank you,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290