How to combat modern crappy websites?

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Tue Apr 26 14:07:37 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-26 08:55, Paul sutton wrote:

> http://codepen.io/jcoulterdesign/details/NxbePR
>
> shows what IS possible, and how much css / html have matured.

That's just an animation right? Not an actual progress bar. It looks
nice anyway.

There is a somewhat more dire problem when offering file uploads. Most
browsers don't display a good upload bar on their own and the website
just stalls while an upload is in progress.

After our mail exchange yesterday I've been playing around with HTTP
chunked encoding. Here is a live chat that works without page
flickering or polling. I've even tested it in Links2 ;-)

http://plutz.net/chunkchat.cgi

Test it in different browser windows. There is a sourcecode link on the
top right of the page.

The same technique might be usable for live progress bars. I came up
with it after I remembered a conversation i've been having with a YaCy
developer. The YaCy interface uses chunking to deliver the latest
search results even seconds after a response page has been loaded.
There are probably other implemenations around, this must have been
working since the nineties.

I'm also working on some (better looking) CSS demos for different stuff.
--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                               █▉█▉█▉