How to combat modern crappy websites? [was: Re: Uncorrectable freedom and security issues on x86 platforms]

Theo Schmidt sus2006 at bluewin.ch
Sun Apr 24 18:09:20 UTC 2016

Am 23.04.2016 um 16:07 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> ... albeit in a world where every Web page wants to run scripts
> from a hundred sites, show ten videos or animations, and lay itself out over
> and over again.

This is becoming more and more of a problem for me. Many "modern" sites
are unusable without scripting and with older browsers or hardware which
don't provide up-to-date Javascript and enough speed to cope with the
often crappy programming. An example is the site of Bern University
http://www.unibe.ch which used to be really nice and usable but now
won't run on any of my mobile phones (Nokia N900, an older
Samsung-Android and a friend's older iPhone). On my PC it doesn't look
nice and navigation isn't possible without Javascript. Ironically the
relaunch is justified by the need to be usable with mobile phones.

Unfortunately ever more companies and organisations are "relauching"
their websites in this manner. Is there any campaign be FSFE, FSF or
other organisations protesting against this developement?

Or am I just an old fogey who isn't "with it"?

Best,
Theo