Uncorrectable freedom and security issues on x86 platforms

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sat Apr 23 08:34:10 UTC 2016

On 23/04/16 05:41, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> On 04/22/2016 10:28 PM, Marc Landolt wrote:
>> Hello Timothy Pearson
>
>> wouldn't this way not be better: https://diasp.eu/posts/4205465
>> (compy of the Text below)
>
> No, we are not associated with nor do we work with the NSA.  We
> are simply interested in retaining access to libre computing
> resources without having to jump back at least 10 - 20 years in
> available computing power.
>
> To highlight the fact that we are not operating under outside
> orders, we even publish a warrant canary [1].
>
> While certain countries *may* be able to semi-legally hack the ME
> and gain the requisite signing keys, much of the developed world
> will *not* be able to do that or use the resultant information.
> Further, you would be continuing a computing / security arms race
> purely for the sake of staying glued to an architecture that is not
> only effectively single source, but also has strong connections to
> corporations that are continually acting to take away computing
> liberty.
>
> All I am attempting to do at this point is highlight the growing
> problem.  If you don't care about raw computing power there are
> already several ARM-based options that make reasonable daily
> drivers, such as the ASUS C201.  From my perspective, anyone
> continuing to purchase modern x86 systems after being made aware of
> this problem is simply accepting the fact that computers are now
> locked down appliances bound by an EULA, much like proprietary
> software.  Personally I don't want to see that possible future
> happen; this will be an interesting several years...

There are also various other ways to approach this, for example, I
started a discussion about ARM-based NAS devices on the debian-arm
list[1].  This is one market where the hardware is readily available
and the fact it is low power is considered a virtue by most purchasers.

The ASUS C201 appears very weak in the specs.  Some things that bother
me are the screen resolution (only 768 pixels high) and it is USB 2
only.  I don't like the Chrome logo on it either (or is that a sticker
that comes off?).  Are there slightly stronger alternatives?

Another strategic topic on this theme: people won't necessarily see
this thread and throw away all their x86 equipment the same day.
However, how can these ideas be introduced to people at the times when
they are making purchasing decisions?

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/04/msg00051.html