Candidacy FSFE Fellowship Representative

Joe Awni joe.awni at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:24:39 UTC 2016

Frankly, It's not possible for you to say the donors are "feeling quite
good" about this (unless you are talking about a rather small sub-set of
donors that do not represent independent software developers) for example,
I donated, and i wish there was more than one candidate.

Erik, No disrespect, you know me, and you know the struggle independent
Free Software developers face. Sure, most people know about Linux and
Firefox, but beyond that are totally clueless. Almost none seem to be aware
of the fact larger open source projects regularly port other projects'
unique features to their own platform thereby depriving other developers of
users and potential donors.

Companies that make their profit from being known as the kings of open
source think it's a good thing as they leave the rest of us out. I'm not
kidding, while the Mozilla team was being wined and dined in Brussels after
FOSDEM, i was getting beat-up and mugged half a block from the university
after eating falafel and french fries.

So, NO - your donors do not feel quite good (unless you mean the
mega-corps).