Uncorrectable freedom and security issues on x86 platforms

Tobias Platen tobias at platen-software.de
Mon Apr 4 16:42:16 UTC 2016

Half a year ago I baught a libreboot machine from Minifree, which is now
my main computer. I own several ARM based computers, with processors
from Texas Instruments and Allwinner, which I use for various other
tasks. I'm also interested in PowerPC, as a replacement for Intel. Ive
heard about a PowerPC notebook[1] as a community effort.

Tobias Platen

[1] http://www.powerpc-notebook.org/en/

On 04/04/2016 05:06 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:

> All,
>
> It has recently come to my attention that many in the free software
> movement are unaware of a relatively new development on x86 platforms
> that permanently removes the ability to use these platforms without also
> continually executing signed, proprietary code at the highest possible
> privilege level.  All post-2013 (AMD) and virtually all post-2009
> (Intel) systems contain this mandatory technology, and therefore, by
> design, can never be converted to run using pure FOSS.  Prior to these
> changes projects such as coreboot could be used to replace the boot
> firmware with a FOSS alternative.
>
> The technologies in question are the Intel Management Engine (ME) and
> the AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP).  Both serve effectively the
> same purpose; to ensure that the physical owner of the machine never has
> full control of said machine.  These technologies, in turn, are used to
> implement various forms of remote control and Digital Rights Management
> (DRM) technologies, including Secure Boot, which even now requires FOSS
> users to purchase a license from Microsoft to boot FOSS on affected
> machines that lack an appropriate Secure Boot override.  This includes,
> for example, many newer laptops.  Major distributions have worked around
> this issue by purchasing a signing key from Microsoft for their binary
> packages, but the end user is unable to modify the signed software
> without a license from Microsoft, even though they have the source code
> available to them under the GPL.
>
> Furthermore, these signed, proprietary, binary-only firmware blobs must
> execute on the service processor(s) before the main x86 CPU cores are
> even released from reset (AMD), or will hard reset the entire system
> after around 30 minutes of non-operation (Intel).  These blobs continue
> to operate on the service processor(s) as long as the system is powered
> on, and in the case of the Intel ME they also continue to operate while
> the system is powered off but still has access to power (e.g. plugged in
> or charged battery attached).  These services processors have full
> access to system memory and all system peripherals, effectively giving
> the binary blobs executing on them a higher privilege level than even
> the operating system kernel.  Due to the ability to access system
> peripherals, these proprietary blobs could easily contain code to
> exfiltrate encryption keys, remotely activate microphones and cameras,
> plant unwanted data, or simply remotely disable the ability of the
> machine to boot FOSS operating systems entirely.  Finally, the Intel ME
> firmware can be forcibly updated by a remote entity; it is unknown
> whether the AMD PSP contains similar functionality at this time.
>
> So, what can an average user do?  The obvious answer is to simply switch
> away from using the x86 architecture entirely.  As Intel owns all rights
> to the x86 architecture, there will never be any new manufacturers
> [...]

Sent from my Libreboot X200