Symfony's views on the GPL

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Thu Sep 24 12:07:13 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Hugo Roy <hugo at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Le 24 septembre 2015 11:25:11 GMT+02:00, Sam Liddicott <sam at liddicott.com> a écrit :
>>To my understanding, works can be developed and also used privately by
>>the developer in the case where the licensing combinations do not
>>permit copying as coverd by copyright law.
>
> Why do you think that? Can you elaborate?

The GPL license is a conditional permission to do something that would
otherwise be forbidden by copyright.

Copyright does not prohibit such development, so no new permission is required.

For the same reason I can buy books and build a castle out of them, or
re-order the pages or write my own stories based on them even
including large parts of the original book. But I may not distribute
these works without permission from the rights holder.

Sam