Symfony's views on the GPL

Nicolas JEAN jean at fsfeurope.org
Wed Sep 23 13:40:16 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm looking into Symfony right now, and this stopped my reading:
"
8. License
Licenses are important simply because they can have a significant impact
on your applications. For example, an application developed using a
GPL-licensed framework will necessarily be subject to GPL. On the other
hand, this is not the case for an MIT-licensed framework.
"
     http://symfony.com/ten-criteria

This seems untrue for several reasons, at best not worded very carefully.
As I understand it, for example, using a GPL framework probably does not
make your project "necessarily subject to" the GPL. Anyone more on this?
Isn't that exactly what the GPL linking exception is for?

What do you people of the Free Software think? :)

Nico