Revisiting the Sony Rootkit 10 years later

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Thu Oct 8 20:07:12 UTC 2015

Dear all,

our current intern Asa wrote an article about the Sony Rootkit fiasco
from 2005, which we published today
<http://fsfe.org/activities/drm/sony-rootkit-fiasco.html>.

This page outlines some facts about the rootkit and how it was handled,
as well as some context about what these kinds of restrictions mean for
the notion of computers as general purpose machines. 31 October 2015
marks the 10 year anniversary of when the rootkit was discovered, and in
preparation for this day, we ask you all to use this information and
spread the word, not only about the Sony rootkit, but about the dangers
of digital restrictions on users' freedoms everywhere.

Best Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany - t +49-30-27595290