more communities for federated RTC?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sun May 31 12:44:16 UTC 2015

On 31/05/15 12:12, cyberesprit wrote:
> Don't forget the TOX project (no servers, all encrypted data,

"no servers" is not accurate.  The DHT Nodes are effectively like
servers in SIP or XMPP networks:

https://wiki.tox.im/Nodes

> audio&video, chat, chatroom multi-audio, many plateforms, ...) :
> http://tox.im
>
> Tested with qTox interface and uTox interface.
> QTox is very recommended by me for the moment (more stable with video flux).

While there are several interesting solutions like this (TextSecure was
another example) they are not getting traction in organizations like
large companies, universities or public bodies.  SIP and XMPP may well
be the only open solutions having the right profile to serve
institutional needs.

There are also proprietary solutions trying to service those
institutions: Microsoft Lync, Google Hangouts, vendors like Avaya
offering products that claim to do SIP but only work with other products
from their approved partners.

Sooner or later, I can imagine Facebook, LinkedIn and Salesforce all
offering their users WebRTC too.

Just as Google dropped XMPP support, I doubt any of those vendors will
be keen to enable federation or interact with open source clients if
they can avoid it.  The only thing that will make them consider
remaining open is if some large organizations or public bodies do
actually deploy standards-based SIP and XMPP.