Free software, as in speech, without Makefile

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Mar 20 16:58:16 UTC 2015

"If this single developer is the sole copyright owner" then this single
developer is distributing by right and not by license.

The copyright owner doesn't need a license. The license gives permission to
those who otherwise have no right.

More interesting is whether or not those who receive the code from the
developer (by his right) are able to distribute it (by the granted license)
as they don't have the full source according to the license.

If they can build without the Makefile then I guess they can distribute
what they build and it's source, but they need to include what they used to
build it.

Otherwise they can perhaps at least see how it works and fix any bugs.

Sam