Free software, as in speech, without Makefile

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:08:16 UTC 2015

On 20 March 2015 at 11:41, Carsten Agger <agger at modspil.dk> wrote:

> On 03/20/2015 11:26 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>>

>> The source is available but the Makefile is missing. The developer says
>> it's to make it a bit more difficult to build it yourself. Eventually
>> for removing the registration.
>>
>> It's a complex Java program what depends on many third party components
>> (all free), so maybe it's not so easy to make such a Makefile, no idea.
>>
>> What's your opinion?
>

> It's up to developer whether to supply a Makefile with the source code or not.

I'm not so sure that I'd agree... (If he's the only developer ever
touching that code,
etc, it might be OK).

Though, normally, GPL and AGPL will require you to also publish the
build-scripts,
or whatever you're using. So to release a program under AGPLv3, and
not supplying
the Makefile won't make you fulfill all the requirements from AGPLv3...

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Darander
EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides