Which firmware in common laptops

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Mar 2 13:26:02 UTC 2015

Op 02-03-15 om 12:05 schreef Albert Dengg:
> hi,
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 11:24:39AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Paul van der Vlis <paul-kzJ6NpsJWJiWrUy98/Atqw at public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> What do I forget?
> well depending on what counts:
>
> * (web) camera

I did mention a webcam.

> * in most case the touchpad i think

I did mention that.

> * the display itself most likly conatins firmware

Hmm... Correct!

> in shourt:
> most "high level" hardware parts (e.g. entities normally considered
> as on funktional item) conatin firmware of sorts, and unfortunatly
> most of it is non-free (and in some cases it might not be possible
> to replace them, as some pieces of hardware are probably not
> designed with uprading firmware in mind).

I am most interested in the devices what have replaceable firmware.
Because somebody could do bad things with it, like they did with the
firmware of harddisks.

It would be nice if it would be possible to make a list of all parts of
the hardware what have upgradeable firmware. Not sure that's possible...

> as for "depending on what counts":
> some of it will be configuration for FPGA's and the like:
> is that:
> * software
> * configuration
> * propritaery hardware?
>
> i'm not really shure....
>
> regards,
> albert

Thanks for your help!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/