Which firmware in common laptops

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Mar 2 13:20:13 UTC 2015

Op 02-03-15 om 11:24 schreef Simon Josefsson:
> Paul van der Vlis <paul-kzJ6NpsJWJiWrUy98/Atqw at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to make a list of devices in common laptops what has it's own
>> firmware:
>
> Nice list!  Analysing each firmware further could be quite interesting.

Thanks. An important point is: "can the firmware be updated or not".

> Some laptops have NFC chips in them, which sometimes requires non-free
> firmware to work.

Correct, thanks.

> I've also heard that the power adapter and battery charger sometimes
> contains firmware, for charging the battery properly.

It's called the "power management controller", I think.

> And maybe memory card readers should be added too?

Good possible that they have firmware. Right.

> Smart-card readers probably contain firmware too.

I don't know them in laptops. But maybe some have.

> Not strictly part of the laptop, but many laptop docking ports also have
> non-free firmware in them that can be updated.

Correct, good possible.

Thanks for your help!

With regards,
Paul.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/