Good example: Chromium blob found by Debian (via LWN)

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Fri Jun 19 16:23:31 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-19 12:40, Daniel Krebs wrote:
> If I understand the links correctly the change "did make its way into
> Debian unstable without being noticed." So in fact it was found after
> it has been implemented wasn't it?

Well, "Debian unstable" kind of serves the purpose of finding issues
with software. It is explicitly not meant for end users.

> Thats even more worrisome.

It highlights another aspect to Free Software contribution: If you are
running experimental packages for testing software, you are not only
signing up to handle technical difficulties every once in a while but
these days you are also likely to expose yourself to more corporate
spying than the end user who runs tested software. (generally spoken,
regardless of Googles intention in this particular case).

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉