Is standardization deemed to be against FS and how can it be tackled?

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnudd.com
Sat Jun 13 11:12:41 UTC 2015

> For consortia standards, the resulting standards tend to be free of cost
> to access, have variable freedom from encumbrance to use [...]

It depends. Or maybe we think of different things about "consortia".
IEEE stuff is not free of cost, but is freely implementable. I think
this falls under consortia under your proposed split: it is not
governamental "de jure" and not community.

But when I hear "consortium" I think more about bluetooth, zigbee, SD,
PCI, such stuff.  This is usually neither available nor free to use.
Usually you even have to pay the yearly fee to the Family if you produce
compliant stuff (this is in addition to paying for conformance tests).

One example, but they are all similar: http://www.usb.org/developers/vendor/

/alessandro