Please help us spread the word on Roundcube Next

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Sat Jun 6 10:13:46 UTC 2015

Dear all,

In the spirit of full disclosure, let me start by pointing out that I am CEO
and - along with other employees, some of whom you will also know -
shareholder of Kolab Systems AG (https://kolabsystems.com) and that Kolab
Systems has been the driving force behind Roundcube for the past years.

Kolab Systems has also agreed to help the Roundcube Next team in its aim to
refactor and build the next technology generation.

So I am not neutral.

That said, I genuinely believe it is extremely important for the Free Software
community to get behind Roundcube Next and help us push it forward, as
well as bring others on board with it.

The longer story is here: http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=676

TL;DR, Part I: As a community we *require* technologies that compete with
Google Apps, Office 365 and the likes in features, convenience, UI/UX, yet
provide full control and freedom to users.

TL;DR, Part II: Application Service Providers should get on board with that
push *right now* because otherwise they will find themselves forced into
becoming re-sellers for Office 365 and Google Apps -- and increasingly
unable to compete with their features & networking effects.

Some already understood this, and have joined the Roundcube Next community,
such as cPanel (http://blog.cpanel.com/on-to-the-next/), Tucows, and now also
Fastmail (http://blog.fastmail.com/2015/06/05/fastmail-supports-roundcube-next-development/).

But there are many more providers using Roundcube today who have not joined,
nor have they contributed in the past. For them it should be obvious to join.

And then there are those that have their own home-brew interfaces (such as
Fastmail) who get the unique opportunity to become part of a new, growing
community that will create a technology that will make them fully competitive
against the "big clouds" in 18 months from now.

Unfortunately, most of them have not realized this yet.

So unless your provider is cPanel, Tucows, Fastmail or Kolab Now, all of who
are part of this already, please encourage them to step up and join the
community to push for Roundcube Next.

Direct link for your convenience:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/roundcube-next--2/x/4658765#/story

Best regards,