The argument against copyleft, or for BSD

Nico Rikken nico.rikken at fsfe.org
Mon Jul 13 05:43:49 UTC 2015

Thanks J.B. and Darryl,

Thanks for the clear expositions, which confirm my thoughts.

As this statement was posted on the FreeBSD website, I'm assume mainly
the 2-clause license is ment throughout the article, as is brought up in
the 4th section. Although this is not clearly stated.

Considering the three reasons Darryl summarized, I can see the benefit
for any of the BSD-licenses by adhering to the current licensing
practice of a project (2), or if it might be required for adoption (3).

Even then the Apache license at least prevents royalty issues, whilst
not providing copyleft. And I would assume preventing patent lawsuits
will certainly help adoption, making the case for the Apache license.

Kind regards,
Nico Rikken