France requires non-proprietary format for ebooks

Nico Rikken nico.rikken at fsfe.org
Sun Jan 25 21:59:51 UTC 2015

Dear Jil,

Great news, thanks for mentioning it. By using Google Translate I
concluded that this law is based on an earlier agreement between the
writers union and the publishers union, am I right? And can be concluded
that since there is word of a required non-proprietary format, that no
form of DRM will be allowed? DRM based on an open standard by way of
signing, and DRM based on changing the content for each user would both
still seem to be allowed within this law. Not being familiar with all
aspects of current e-book formats, I'm not aware of the state and
development of DRM.

Kind regards,
Nico Rikken