PCI SATA Controllers or SATA Multipliers?

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Feb 3 08:45:48 UTC 2015

Op 04-01-15 om 19:37 schreef Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross:
> Finding it difficult to find info.
>
> Is this ACHI a standard so I can get any ACHI Compliment SATA Controller
> PCI card and it will work? or are there cards that are not supported or
> ones that depend on non-free software?
>
> what about the state of SATA multipliers?
>
> resorting to asking for help after hours,days of searching.

Maybe you mean AHCI? A typo can make searching very hard...

I think you mean the Linux support of these controllers? In most cases
it's no problem, but be sceptical with very new or less used ones.
In most cases you look at the chipset, not at the SATA controller.

I don't know SATA controllers who need non-free software to operate, but
many SATA RAID controllers need non-free software to check them, and
e.g. send a message when a disk is bad.

When I am not wrong, you can split a SATA port into two ports with
special cables. I have never used them:
http://www.svc.com/mod-4p3sata-bk.html
I would only use them in special cases, because it's not normal.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/