education flyer suggestions

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Tue Dec 15 12:19:00 UTC 2015

On 15/12/15 11:54, Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Tuesday 15. December 2015 12.34.55 Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Kids ruby http://kidsruby.com/ is free software and has source
>> code available,  not sure if it is GPL 2 or 3,  I think it may
>> be.
>>
>> Scratch is designed for complete beginners and ruby is a nice
>> step up from that perhaps then python as the next step up from
>> there.
>
> I know that there is a certain amount of work going into
> Python-related projects in this area. There's Reeborg, for
> instance:
>
> http://reeborg.ca/docs/en/ https://github.com/aroberge/reeborg
>
> And the BBC Micro Bit will apparently support running Micropython:
>
> http://micropython.org/
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/microbit/
>
> Of course, the Micro Bit illustrates some of the problems faced
> when recommending technology: it's being developed in a closed
> project, it will only be generally available "at some point", and
> it might not be open hardware even after being made available for
> sale. (And a notorious proprietary software vendor is one of the
> project partners, of course.)
>
> Maybe case studies are an interesting strategy for the flyer,
> although they may also seem like recommendations for those wanting
> a ready-to-use solution, and so caution is still required.
>
> Paul
Indeed the microbit was due for release back in October but has been
delayed, the 2nd issue is that it really could do with being in the
hands of hackers / techies / teachers and certainly some of the more
technically literate kids out there first so they can get used to
using it and start forming a user support community before the main
release. Just giving some to pi / tech jam type events would address thi
s.

The Pi zero has kind of stolen the show on this, £4 each and given
away on magazines a major coup, it is also proven technology, so what
runs on the Pi will also run on the Pi zero so it is ideal for
embedded systems.  in that respect.

I think just as the facebook logo (for example) is widely recognised
we need things like the open hardware logo equally out there so people
see it and know what it means,  and ideally understand what it means
so we have a sort of open hardware certified, i think the Arduino fits
this category.

I would much rather get behind the Pi / Arduino / Micropython boards
which are open to everyone to get hold of,

Paul