Compulsory routers

Giel van Schijndel giel at fsfe.org
Tue Dec 1 09:37:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 00:15:04 +0100, Nico Rikken wrote:
> I assume you refer to the 'Horizon Box'? I'll probably end up with such
> a box in the near future. My only hope is to put up a separate router to
> get some separation. Ideally I would be able to select my own router, as
> that would imply connectivity is more standard and strict. Then again
> backdoors and security weaknesses are real, certainly in hardly updated
> modem-routers.

Yes, I was referring to the "Horizon Box". And while I believe it to be
legal to use your own router (i.e. you needed your own before and my
parents did _not_ change their contract), it's definitely not
appreciated. I.e. my father had some problems with this "Horizon TV"
Android-app and the UPC/Ziggo help desk just took remote access to the
box and declared the "unusual" routing setup to be the cause of the
problem and basically refused to investigate further without switching
back to the box's default setup. (Everything else worked, and a month or
so later when my father reset his phone this app suddenly started
working. Of course at UPC they still blamed the unusual network setup.)

So my conclusion: even if it's legal according to your contract to use
your own router, you still risk being treated as a second class
customer.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,