Metaphors of Free Software

lfodh at fsfe.org lfodh at fsfe.org
Tue Sep 30 15:22:55 UTC 2014

Ahoy hoy Hugo et al.,

>         Modification: a house
>
>         Open source is like buying a house and being free to decorate it
>         however you want, to build extensions or demolish walls.
>         Closed-source software strictly limits what you can do with it.

One of the best metaphors I've heard so far regarding modification (i.e.
derivative work) comes from my dear mother, who is quite into gardening
and roses. So.

  Modification: Flowers for your garden

  Free Software is like buying flowers for your garden. If the seed of
  those flowers spreads and you get more flowers, you can give those
  seeds or flowers away if you want to. Proprietary software is like
  signing an agreement that you will never ever use or give away those
  seeds or flowers.

And accordings to my mother, in the gardening community, such an idea
would be considered madness and an insult to the craft. ;)

Kind regards,
Simon