CodeWeek.EU - call for participation

Giel van Schijndel giel at fsfe.org
Sat Sep 27 09:31:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 18:53:50 +0200, Guido Arnold wrote:
> Hello Otto,
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 04:24:35PM +0300, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
>>> We would like to encourage everybody to participate in one of the
>>> existing events to make sure that Free Software will not remain
>>> unknown to these kids. As they are already interested in coding, it
>>
>> My club here in Tampere will participate and the site koodikerho.fi
>> will heavily promote free and open software.
>
> Great news! :)
>
>> The club started 2 weeks ago and we have 13 children fron the 3rd
>> grade (9-year olds), they are progressing nicely and surprisingly the
>> majority is girls!
>
> Wow, that's even better news! As you write "surprisingly", does that
> mean you won't tell us the secret how you did that?
>
> Or is the education system and society in Finland just so awesome
> that girls aren't subliminally told tech stuff is nothing for them?
> I think I've got to visit you one day...

Given Otto's surprised I'd say it's more likely they haven't been told
often enough yet that tech stuff isn't for them.

@Otto: and in the interest of that I would suggest not to show your
surprise of how good they are whilst being girls. As a female classmate
in CS once told me that she thought the constant surprise about how good
she was (in spite of being a girl), was amongst the most off-putting
behaviours she got exposed to.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,