Metaphors of Free Software

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Wed Sep 24 10:29:59 UTC 2014

On 23/09/14 15:59, Hugo Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Metaphors when done right can be powerful to convey an idea.
> There’s a short article with some good metaphors:
>
> http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ethicalreports/internetreport/whatisopensource.aspx
>

>         [...]

>         Democratic: a landslide
>
>         Like a democracy where anyone can set up their own country if they
>         don’t like the leader.

what is this for a democracy where I can just set up my own country if I do't
like the leader, haha ?

> I suppose we’re missing the analogy between a cooking recipe and
> source code for the list to be complete :-)

I also like an analogy between Open Standards and screws/screwdrivers:
Industry decides for a standard for screws that is open to use and adopt. That
makes it very easy for the customers because they only need a generic
screwdriver to tighten all kinds of screws. And using the screw as a standard
you can build all kind of innovation on top of it.
The counterpart is specific screws used by the manufacturers to lock their
hardware, so you cannot open it anymore because you are in need of a specific
tool to open it. That is what we see more and more with these kindles and
apples and so on.

Best,
   Erik

--
Erik Albers | https://fsfe.org/about/albers
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) - Campaigns & Community

		Free as in Freedom!