An idea / pointers / risks?

Heiki “Repentinus” Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Sun Sep 14 10:35:13 UTC 2014

On 09/13/2014 02:48 AM, Allan Irving wrote:
> First thing, heat + plastic. Bad idea? Any suggestions as to how to place or manipulate the heat sink and CPU to reduce melting or danger?

"Plastic" is a term far too general. Most Lego blocks are made of ABS¹,
and its properties vary depending on the precise formula employed by the
manufacturer. For an example of common parameters see ². Unless you
intend to ask Lego's ABS supplier for the precise parameters of their
variant of ABS, I would suggest placing the heatsink, CPU, and GPU as
far away as possible from the sides of the enclosure. I would also
suggest placing an additional temperature sensor at the Lego bricks
closest to the heatsink and use it to limit processor speeds if necessary.

¹ http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Acrylonitrile_Butadiene_Styrene
² http://www.dynalabcorp.com/technical_info_abs.asp

Cheers,
--