Supermicro bios update

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Thu Sep 11 21:31:36 UTC 2014

op 11-09-14 17:10, Paul Hänsch schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl> Thu 2014-09-11 16:41:
>> When I ask Supermicro support (Europe) for another solution to upgrade
>> the bios, they only can advice me to create a bootable USB stick with
>> MS-DOS using a Windows PC.
>
> I've done (PC) BIOS updates using FreeDos. That works fine. I believe I
> had to disable some CDROM or hard disk drivers in
> config.sys/autoexec.bat so the system wouldn't accidentally disable the
> floppy emulation when running from a USB stick.

I have an USB stick with FreeDOS what boots fine on my laptop.
But it does not boot on the Supermicro server.

Maybe it has to do with UEFI, the Supermicro server sees the USB stick
only as an UEFI device. So far I know FreeDOS does not have UEFI support.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl