Supermicro bios update

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Thu Sep 11 14:41:36 UTC 2014

Hello,

Normally I buy Supermicro servers. Updating the bios works most of the
time fine with the free program Flashrom.[1]  But now I have bought a
type what is not supported by Flashrom.

Because of that, the program asks which type of programmer to use, and
presents a list. But I don't know which one to choose. And Supermicro
support does not know that too.

When I ask Supermicro support (Europe) for another solution to upgrade
the bios, they only can advice me to create a bootable USB stick with
MS-DOS using a Windows PC.

This are servers what are used much with free software, in my opinion
it's normal to have some way to upgrade the bios without Windows.

I would like to ask you if you think about buying a Supermicro server,
first to ask Supermicro support for a way to update the bios. You can
ask it to your sales-person, or here in Europe you can ask it at
"support at supermicro dot nl".

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

[1] http://flashrom.org/Flashrom

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl