Jitsi Videobridge vs Skype?

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fsfe.org
Sat Oct 11 21:46:38 UTC 2014

On 10/11/2014 10:42 PM, Carsten Agger wrote:
> Some time back, Sam Tuke posted the findings of the FSFE group in
> Manchester about "the hunt for Skype alternatives".
>
> Sadly, at the time the conclusion was that there were no *real*
> replacements, as Skype handled some things (specifically lagging, I
> think, and latency - latency used to be a *huge* problem in SIP
> telephony) exceedingly well.
>
> Recently, however, I've been using the public Jitsi videobridge
> https://meet.jit.si almost daily. It doesn't work with Firefox, but it
> works with Chromium, most of the time nearly as if there was a hole in
> the screen to the other person. I'm kind of impressed, and I see fewer
> problems with the sound etc. that I usually do in Skype for GNU/LInux
> (which I almost never use - I have to use it sometimes to communicate
> with customers, though).
>
> Does anyone know of any compelling reason NOT to recommend Jitsi
> Videobridge as a real free alternative to Skype?

For me the fact that it's not supported by Firefox is a stopper, but
it's certainly better that Skype.

What i tend to use more and more lately is Loop [1], the embedded on
Firefox WebRTC Video Call service. It works really great with zero
configuration. Currently it only supports 1-1 calls and it's on Firefox
Beta (will be part of the next stable release).

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Loop

--
Nikos Roussos
http://www.roussos.cc