Jitsi Videobridge vs Skype?

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Sat Oct 11 19:42:46 UTC 2014

Some time back, Sam Tuke posted the findings of the FSFE group in
Manchester about "the hunt for Skype alternatives".

Sadly, at the time the conclusion was that there were no *real*
replacements, as Skype handled some things (specifically lagging, I
think, and latency - latency used to be a *huge* problem in SIP
telephony) exceedingly well.

Recently, however, I've been using the public Jitsi videobridge
https://meet.jit.si almost daily. It doesn't work with Firefox, but it
works with Chromium, most of the time nearly as if there was a hole in
the screen to the other person. I'm kind of impressed, and I see fewer
problems with the sound etc. that I usually do in Skype for GNU/LInux
(which I almost never use - I have to use it sometimes to communicate
with customers, though).

Does anyone know of any compelling reason NOT to recommend Jitsi
Videobridge as a real free alternative to Skype?

--
http://www.modspil.dk
https://blogs.fsfe.org/agger/