Petition to Mozilla: Remove DRM

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sun Oct 5 21:56:49 UTC 2014

op 05-10-14 22:28, Paul van der Vlis schreef:

> I am against DRM and I will not enable it. But I will not sign the
> petition at this moment. But, maybe somebody can convince me.

At the moment I see many sites offer HTML5 without DRM when there is no
flash. That's really nice. And most Silverlight sites are already gone.

But there is a big risk: maybe at some day, when the browsers support
it, all those sites will turn on DRM. And you will see nothing anymore.

Something like the "Sintel" video here:
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/html5/eme/

Then I have to use it too, I am afraid. Sometimes.
When there are no alternatives.
Then they have a new DRM platform.

When I look at this picture:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CDM-graphic.png
Then I don't understand the security. The open source software gets the
decrypted video, so can store it unencrypted. True?
Not sure, but I am afraid this cannot be implemented this way...

The picture comes from this interesting page:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/reconciling-mozillas-mission-and-w3c-eme/

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl