Petition to Mozilla: Remove DRM

Pierre Schweitzer pierre at reactos.org
Sun Oct 5 21:14:37 UTC 2014

I guess we do all agree that DRM are a nuisance.

I'm just not sure whether using Mozilla Foundation willingness to
support them is the right place to raise such debate.

We shouldn't fight so that FOSS actors don't implement DRM support,
but we'd rather fight so that DRM disappear. Which is already a
work-in-progress, as your next mail shows.

Regarding the paid-for services using DRM (and HTML5 -
work-in-progress here as well), I can quote France where we have two
major services competing: Netflix & CanalPlay. Both are using DRMs and
are about to switch to HTML5.
They recommend using Google Chrome at the moment and up to date
libnss, hence the recent upgrade of such library on Ubuntu recently
(through security channel).

This is indeed a market loss for Firefox, but at least, in France it's
hard to know how big it is. We don't really know about the amount of
users of such services.