Petition to Mozilla: Remove DRM

Sun Oct 5 19:32:19 UTC 2014

On 10/05/2014 07:55 PM, Pierre Schweitzer wrote:
> Do you have any information about how the Mozilla Foundation plans to
> implement this?
Hi Pierre,

I think this link [1] which you might not have seen on change.org
explains the way Mozilla considers to go.

They already have some options in mind. One option mentioned is creating
a fork of Firefox which has DRM included and offering both to the users.
IMHO this sounds like a chrome vs. chromium thing. I think it's a
similar story here.

I don't have enough background knowledge about DRM to know how often you
will need this to have a "good" Internet experience.
All I know is that neither DRM nor Silverlight will work on Linux
comfortable.
I can't believe that Adobe will support GNU! Linux in there Access CDM
for long. They recently stopped to support the adobe reader[2] which
IMHO mainly companies use in there work flows. They also changed support
for Flash player to maintenance mode and haven't done more then critical
bug fixes for quite some time. Furthermore support for Adobe Air (which
is I think less painful then the other two above) is no longer given for
Linux OS.

I think it's time to stop DRM and push HTML5 further to get an open web
experience with many advantages compared to HTML Version 4 or less.

Let's see what time brings.

Best Regards,
Thomas

[1]