Petition to Mozilla: Remove DRM

Pierre Schweitzer pierre at reactos.org
Sun Oct 5 17:55:20 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I'd like to raise a few points on that concern, because they are a few
dark corners for me. I hope you can throw some light for me on this.
What's exactly the matter with supporting DRM? It means that they will
have to ship some closed source binary with Firefox so that DRM will
properly work in Firefox?

If that's the case, what about letting the users the freedom to
choose? Distributions rebuild their Firefox (or equivalent), so they
can provide a DRM-free and a DRM-compliant release? I'm seeing this as
it could be done for Linux with non-free and free firmwares. Perhaps a
too naive approach?

I'd like to highlight some major point in the end: the user must be
free. That's IMHO the most important thing, and this shouldn't be
forgotten. Let's impersonate a Firefox end-user. They want to be able
to browse the web and visit sites that have an interest for them. This
might include Netflix for instance. And this requires DRM support.
Firefox doesn't have it and plans to have it. Why would we choose for
the user what's good or not? That's not free software.

Let's have the upstream developer do what he believes match the users
requirements. And let's just ask him possibility to eventually disable
such features if they don't match distribution/user philosophy.

Ideally, this should be implemented so that there's only one
mainstream firefox and a closed-source module that you can
plug/install whenever you need it. This would let the end-user the
freedom to use the DRMs (or not).

Do you have any information about how the Mozilla Foundation plans to
implement this?

If I'm missing anything, explain me.

Cheers,
Pierre